“I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.”
Psalm 9:2 NIV
Sandra Kirby has a deep abiding call to a Ministry of Music. Here are some ways to engage her:
- Sandra has a well rounded repertoire of hymns that will complement your special Sunday Anniversary, memorial or baptism. Perhaps your choir has a particularly difficult anthem and needs a soprano lead for an upcoming Sunday.
LAY WORSHIP LEADER
- Sandra is on the Occasional Pulpit Supply List through her denomination, (currently studying to become a Licensed Lay Worship Leader) leading a worship service filled with congregational music, solos, scripture and prayers, all with a main theme for that service. To alleviate strain from a busy pianist/organist, she can come equipped with recordings made by her collaborative pianist to be used during her solos, or if the church musician is going to be absent that Sunday, upon adequate notice, Sandra can prepare the entire service utilizing her own piano recordings. Power point/no power point, printed order of service or none available that week isn’t a problem. Large or small congregations are uplifted for the week ahead.
- Sandra has a wide repertoire of both Christian and secular songs perfectly suited for private services or annual memorials held at hospitals, funeral homes, etc. See her list of music suggestions.
CHRISTIAN CONCERT PROGRAM
- Looking for an event to promote fellowship inside your church and with the wider community? Sandra is an experienced performer, providing an afternoon or evening of solo performances combined with audience singing of well-loved hymns (and some newer gems as well) that will stir souls. Sandra, in combination with Oleg Samokhin, a brilliant pianist, are delightful in bringing joyous praise.
- United Church Hymn Books of Our Lifetime: When The United Church of Canada was created in 1925 it drew together together rich histories in church music. The UCC have evolved through three hymnaries and six hymn book supplements to present times. These books are rich in theology and show changes in our worship practices. Sandra incorporates a short history of hymnaries and supplements with music from those times. Song sheets are provided so that everyone has the opportunity to sing along with cherished old hymns they may not have sung in years, together with modern hymns. This special music program takes about 45 minutes and utilizes your own accompanist. It would be very suitable for a U.C.W. meeting or other special get together with both men and women of The United Church. It can be expanded and used for a Sunday service should your minister be away on holiday.
- Women in Song: Whether written 20 or 400 years ago, women have been inspired by the Holy Spirit to write musical lyrics of lasting significance. Learn about these women and sing their hymns as Sandra leads your group.
Contact Sandra to inquire about availability and cost.
A SELECTION OF REVIEWS
October 5, 2017: “I so enjoyed the whole morning, your beautiful singing, your message and your all-encompassing friendship. So many people commented how much they enjoyed it… I do hope that you will consider returning in the new year…Thank you so much for your musical ministry to us.” Jane Kennedy, Chair of Worship, Wesley UC
Sandra it was a beautiful Service. I had positive remarks from many people. Thank you. Esther Lewis, Lemonville UC
July 19, 2017: Many thanks to you for stepping in to lead worship. We had a pretty somber week last week with the death of a much loved member, and I think your uplifting musical service was a balm to folks in need! Warm regards, Patti Rodgers, DLM, Rich Hill Tottenham PC
“On behalf of all of us at Nobleton United I want to extend our most heartfelt gratitude for the very beautiful family service you led for us. We appreciate your gift of ministry through your music. It was and is wonderful. At a time when we are without a minister to have our pews full and lots of children means a lot. Close to 100 attended!” Christmas Eve, 2016
August 11, 2016: Local newspaper article: Jack Campbell reported “The July 31 service with Sandra Kirby was an excellent sample of a lay-led program, especially one with an emphasis on music. There were people who said afterwards it was the best service they had ever attended.” Jack added, “Sandra is a professional musician who was able to tie together the meaning or purpose behind the music being sung to the personal stories of the songwriters and to Bible scripture. Her solo hymns were impressive both in their professionalism …. For music that our regular organist was not familiar with (and new to us) she brought her own recorded music as accompaniment so that there was a good flow to the presentation. The service had a spiritual theme to it. There were references made to various translations of the Bible that described how they came to be and also about the annotated NIV bible that makes it much more readable and helps readers with overview and context.”
“Your singing brought a peacefulness and calm over me.”
From Maggie, Bannockburn Community Church, Acton Island, Muskoka Lakes
“You have such an angelic voice. Thank you.”
Anonymous, Bannockburn Community Church
“Sandra had us smiling as we listened to the songs of our youth, crying when those memories were so strong and touching and once again helped us to sing with praise as we joined her in song. Sandra reminds us of God’s love being present at all times. She is a blessing. Thank you for your heartwarming and kind love that you bring to those around you.”
From Cathie Jones, UCW Concert
“It was Spirit-filled; we could see the passion of the love of the Lord in you.”
From Byng Bone, UCW Concert
“Congratulations on a super successful concert! I know an awful lot of work would have gone into making it such an amazing performance. Hymns have certainly come a long way since my early church days. Although it’s really the way you sing them that makes them seem new and fresh ! I especially love the jazzy numbers. Your accompanist, Oleg, was super amazing too. He truly has magical fingers. Thank you for letting me share the evening with you. I anxiously await the next concert.”
From Carol-Anne Fisher, UCW Concert
“Your love for our Lord was very evident in your choice of songs and in your singing. May the Lord continue to bless you as you seek to serve Him.”
From W. Currie, UCW Concert
“It was a joy and blessing to have Sandra share music during our special worship service. We connected deeply with the music which invites ‘worship’ and participation. …I now understand why the congregation keeps inviting her back, again and again. Blessings on your ministry.”
From The Rev. Basil Coward, Victoria Square United Church
“I was delighted with the way you explained the context of the many hymnaries that have been developed over the decades. …I thank you for your delightful and informative presentation.”
From Marian, a participant of The United Church Hymn Books from Our Lifetime